Coetzee retained as Springboks coach despite big slump

FILE - In this Saturday, Nov. 16, 2016 file photo, South Africa coach Allister Coetzee waits for the start of the international rugby union test match against Italy, in Florence, Italy. Allister Coetzee has been retained as South Africa coach despite a dire first season in charge that saw the Springboks slump to a series of embarrassing losses. SA Rugby said Monday, Feb. 27, 2017 that it “reaffirmed its support” for Coetzee after a review into the performance of him and his coaching team. (AP Photo/Andrea Staccioli, File)

CAPE TOWN, South Africa — Allister Coetzee survived a review to keep his job as South Africa coach despite a dire first season in charge that saw the Springboks slump to a series of embarrassing losses.

SA Rugby "reaffirmed its support" for Coetzee, it said Monday, after reviewing the performance of him and his coaching team. It took the national federation three months to complete the review and announce that Coetzee would stay on.

Some members of Coetzee's backroom staff lost their jobs following South Africa's worst-ever season last year, though, with defense coach Chean Roux and backline coach Mzwandile Stick demoted to work with the Junior Springboks team.

SA Rugby gave Franco Smith, South Africa's 2016 Currie Cup-winning coach, a permanent place on the Springboks staff as an assistant coach. SA Rugby said it would name a new defense coach soon.

South Africa lost eight of its 12 tests last year, including a first loss at home to Ireland, a first loss in Argentina, a record 57-15 loss to New Zealand, and a first loss to Italy, the lowest point of a terrible year.

The Springboks, two-time world champions, had never lost so many tests in a season.

Coetzee's job was in the balance since SA Rugby ordered the review in November. He said South African rugby had systematic problems that needed to be addressed and were partly to blame for the team's sudden and dramatic slide.

"I am glad the review process is done and want to thank the (executive committee) for reaffirming their support in me as Springbok coach," Coetzee said in a statement released later Monday by SA Rugby. "We have no excuses for our poor performances of 2016 even though last year was an extremely challenging season. Our below par performances will never be acceptable and we will have to turn it around."

Coetzee, who was given a four-year contract at the start of last year, will now lead South Africa in a three-test home series against France in June, his first chance to win back the confidence of the many South African rugby followers who wanted him fired.

People also read these

African Cup of Nations: A look at Group A

Jan 11, 2017

The teams, key players and coaches in Group A at the African Cup of Nations: Gabon, Burkina Faso,...

AB de Villiers to miss NZ test series but not...

Jan 17, 2017

AB de Villiers will sit out South Africa's test cricket series in New Zealand but the batsman...

France, Ireland, SAfrica confirm bids for 2023...

Jun 2, 2017

France, Ireland and South Africa say they have submitted formal bids to host the 2023 Rugby World...

All Blacks squeeze past Springboks 25-24 for...

Oct 7, 2017

New Zealand has weathered a Springboks storm to win 25-24 in the Rugby Championship and complete...

South Africa revives groundbreaking apartheid-era...

Oct 8, 2017

South Africa revives groundbreaking apartheid-era musical 'King Kong,' which launched international...

Sign up now!

Daily Sprinter delivers the cutting-edge content from game reports to viral videos for our audiences worldwide. Our passionate writers strive to deliver a unique approach to the hottest sports news.

Contact us: sales[at]dailysprinter.com