South African government approves 2023 Rugby WCup bid

FILE - In this file photo dated Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015, reaching for the ball during the 2015 Rugby World Cup at Twickenham Stadium, London. South Africa’s new sports minister Thulas Nxesi on Tuesday May 9, 2017, lifted a ban on the South Africa Rugby Federation hosting major events, opening the way for it to submit a bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, FILE )

CAPE TOWN, South Africa — South Africa's new sports minister on Tuesday lifted a ban on the rugby federation hosting major events, opening the way for it to submit a bid for the 2023 World Cup by next month's deadline.

Minister Thulas Nxesi lifted suspensions on three codes — rugby, cricket and netball. Four sports fell short of transformation targets last year and were told by the former sports minister they were not allowed to bid to host any major competitions. The three met their targets in the latest report and were cleared to bid. Athletics again failed to meet its targets.

The transformation targets in South African sports are aimed at accelerating opportunities for black players, who were not allowed to play top-level sport under apartheid.

The federation, SA Rugby, would now submit detailed bid documents to World Rugby by the June 1 deadline, its president, Mark Alexander said.

"We can now put the finishing touches to what we believe will be an outstanding bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup," he said.

Ireland and France are also expected to bid.

South Africa's hosting of the 1995 Rugby World Cup is one of the sport's most memorable events. The Springboks won the tournament, beating New Zealand in an epic final in front of Nelson Mandela, who had been elected South Africa's first black president the year before.

Aiming to re-live some of the magic of that tournament, South Africa bid to host again in 2011, 2015 and 2019 but failed with all three bids.

The host country for 2023 will be decided in November, while the next Rugby World Cup will be held in Japan in 2019.

People also read these

2 surprises in Nigeria's provisional WCup squad

May 14, 2018

Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi and Ahmed Musa have all been included in Nigeria's provisional World Cup...

WORLD CUP: With Mane, Senegal expects team to...

May 1, 2018

With Sadio Mane leading from the front, pressure is on Senegal to repeat 2002 quarterfinal run

Mane leads Senegal's 23-man World Cup squad

May 17, 2018

Senegal names final 23-man squad for the World Cup led by Liverpool forward Sadio Mane

SAfrican judge denies appeal for harsher...

Aug 26, 2016

South African judge denies appeal for harsher sentence against Oscar Pistorius

AB de Villiers to miss NZ test series but not...

Jan 17, 2017

AB de Villiers will sit out South Africa's test cricket series in New Zealand but the batsman...

Sign up now!

Daily Sprinter delivers the cutting-edge content from game reports to viral videos for our audiences worldwide. Our passionate writers strive to deliver a unique approach to the hottest sports news.

Contact us: sales[at]dailysprinter.com